Sunday, December 22, 2013

iPhones and other "Hi" Tech things...


I was not one of the first to get an iPhone.
I will never have the latest and greatest.
I am slow to jump on bandwagons.
I like to get on after the hype has worn off a bit.
We were some of the last of our friends to get texting on our phones. And that was just a few short years ago. And we never got picture messaging. And we got made fun of...
But eventually we wanted an upgrade. We wanted incentive to get in shape and smart phones were good incentive. And iPhones seemed like the best option for us. And I love mine. And we just convinced my mom that it's great and she got one too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a die-hard, and I know they're not perfect. But it is helpful and convenient. And it looks sharp too!
But here's my soapbox. There are many reason why I don't like my iPhone (or really just smart phones in general, but I'll keep this personal and talk about the plank in my eye before talking about others' splinters). Sure, it's great to have a good camera always handy, it's more than helpful to have a GPS with me always, it's great for occupying young boys when waits get long or for occupying me when I am bored or uncomfortable in a social setting, and it's nice to feel "on the in."
But sometimes it just sucks the life out of me. Or sucks me out of my kids' lives.
Like when I sort of here "mommy" in the background but don't answer until the 4th or 5th time because I am too "busy" looking at instagram or reading FB posts.
Like when I look back on my day and realized I have spent more intentional time on my phone than face to face with my kids.
Like when I know someone is trying to talk to me, but I display I am not interested enough in what they are saying because I keep checking my phone.
Like when I am in a face to face conversation, but disregard that in order to reply to a text that "can't wait" a few more minutes.
Like when I am in a church or Bible study type setting and go into my Bible app, but then get lost in other apps and lose focus on what is really supposed to be the focus.
Like when I take a phone call or start answering texts while in line somewhere. And then act like that cashier or person helping me needs to stay quiet and wait to me to try and multitask. 
And so many more...And so many of these, I don't even really realize that I have done these things in the moment. Sometimes it's later. As I'm falling asleep at night and thinking over my day. As I'm thinking about moments I lost in the precious lives of my boys or others.
I like my phone. I don't want to give it back. Don't want to get rid of it. But I do need to make sure that my phone (or the things I have on my phone, that aren't bad in an of themselves) doesn't get in the way of relationships.
With people in my life.
With my kids.
With my God. 
I need to look up more often and say Hi.
And stay looking up to wait for the response...

No comments: