Thursday, January 8, 2009

Time Flies!

I can't believe it has been 4 weeks since I went to the hospital wondering if it would be "the day"...and it was, though it happened slightly after midnight, so it is actually 4 weeks tomorrow, but that is just craziness. I don't know if I really thought it would be harder or easier, or faster or slower, but 4 weeks have come and gone and I am so grateful for each and every moment of those weeks. Yes, even through the screaming, and uncontrollable pooping and peeing everywhere...through not knowing why he might be crying and through the sleepless nights...
But when others meet him for the first time or see him and ask me how things are going, those aren't the moments that come to mind. It's the snuggling he does after a feeding, or the way he grips my fingers, or the cute little noises and faces he makes as he is waking up. Or I think about how beautiful he is, or how much of a gift he is, or how blessed we have been by God through this whole process. I know I won't simply forget every hard moment, but it is so much easier to look at him and just be in awe at how precious he is and what a gift he has been to us over these past 4 weeks, even if they have flown by so fast!
Even as I sit and type this, I look at him and smile, he is SO darn cute I can hardly stand it! It's crazy, though, even looking back over 4 weeks and seeing how much he has grown (he is almost ready to fit into regular newborn clothes!) and how much his looks are developing, and how much better he is at making eye contact. And it's crazy how much we have learned in 4 weeks! Like always put something over him while changing his diaper (even though it sometimes fails, it works more often than not), how much he likes music and it calms him, how much he likes taking a bath, how he doesn't like to sleep flat on his back, he likes his head rubbed, he likes to be held (a lot), knowing what is hunger and what is just a fussy cry, knowing he likes the roof of his mouth to be massaged by a finger more than he likes a pacifier...We are learning about us, we are learning about parenting, and we are learning about Micah and who he is becoming:):) Life is great!

No comments: