Friday, August 20, 2010

Green Stuff


I have recently found the best, most efficient way I know how to get green stuff into Micah's diet. I find it easy to get into ruts with what he is eating...sometimes it's just easier to fall back on things that he is familiar with, he is asking for, and that are easy to prepare. A new one of these "fallbacks" for me is a "green smoothie." It doesn't look good, so don't decide whether you want to try it based on looks. I don't really have a specific recipe that I follow, but we got a new blender recently when our old one broke and it works so much better at actually blender. Imagine that! Needless to say, I find it easier to throw a few things in and give Micah a drink for a snack. And he loves them. To be honest, they are actually really good.
I started with this recipe, and then I started making my own alterations based on what I had on hand and what seemed like it might be good...
So, here's what I do...
Take some frozen fruit (either fruit that I froze or out of a bag that I bought) whether it is just one fruit, like strawberries, or a mixture of a bunch of fruit doesn't really matter. Sometimes I add fresh fruit too, but the frozen helps the drink to be more smoothie-like without just adding a bunch of ice and watering it down.
Add some liquid: juice (sometimes frozen concentrate, sometimes juice that was in canned fruit that I didn't need, etc), or water, or milk, or yogurt, whatever floats your boat and maybe whatever goes good with the fruit that was added.
Then add spinach. I've used fresh and frozen and definitely think the fresh works better in the smoothies. I add a bunch. A bunch like a LOT, not like a little "bunch" that fills my hand.
I try to make it so that each "serving" I give Micah has close to a cup of spinach! The spinach doesn't really have much flavor, so it definitely changes the look of the smoothies, but not so much the taste. And the yogurt or milk usually tones down the flavor (and color) even more if that is what you choose to add.
So, I don't have exact measurements, I do it a little different every time, and sometimes we drink them with Micah...but all in all it is a very healthy snack and a great way to get some green veggies in his diet at a time in his life where he is quite picky about the food he eats and what it looks like...

No comments: