Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If your baby is ever constipated...


Ok, let me start with a short background for this post. My son is almost 4 months old, and until recently has been fairly irregular when it comes to his bowel movements (even though I nurse him). The longest he has gone was 9 days (and we had to help him then) and often would not go but once a week. This seemed to make him quite uncomfortable after about day 5 or 6 and we always felt bad for him, and then when it did finally come out it was a huge blowout!! Funny and gross all at the same time. And then he would get really cheerful. I wonder why, right?!
So, I have recently realized that I have a new solution for him if this starts happening again. Amazingly for him, he has gone once or twice a day for the past 4 days (a record since just after he was born). But one thing I have noticed is when he goes that makes me chuckle.
Just a little bit ago I put him in his car seat in front of the TV (not something I do often nor do I recommend that it be a regular habit) so that he could be entertained, educated (Baby Einstein of course) and maybe even be lulled into a nap. I went about getting things done, but as we neared the end of this short video I heard something. Yes, if you are a mom, you know the something I am talking about. The all-too-familiar sound of the diaper being filled to capacity within about 2 seconds!
This is when I realized that the past 3 or 4 times we have put him in his seat and turned on Baby Einstein he has pooped! This has been over the course of a couple of weeks, but it seems that there is some connection. I don't know if it is the position of the seat, or the excitement that the video brings, or maybe the relaxation that comes with watching the video, but it brings it on.
So, if you ever have a constipated baby, before other medicines or uncomfortable things you might try, I recommend Baby Einstein to get the process moving.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just to let you know....Our pediatrician said it can be normal for a baby to go up to 8 days without pooping...it's not the amount time he goes without pooping, it's the consistency of the poop! That sure is a funny story, though!

Jheezy said...

I know I have a weird feeling in my stomach whenever I watch Baby Einstien.