Wednesday, May 27, 2009

For the Love of Music.

Micah loves music. We have known this since he was in the womb. Some of his earliest recognizable movements in my stomach came at the sound of music. All kinds. Just music.

In the first few weeks of Micah's life, music would help to calm him when he was uncontrollably crying. Just start some music and he would forget why he was crying and would suddenly be captivated with the melodies.

Now that he has a little better control of his hands, he is loving making music himself. Or at least trying to. We have an old piano that was left in our house when we bought it. We joked about it. Thought about trying to get rid of it. I'm glad we didn't. When we walk toward the piano his arms go out in anticipation of touching the keys. And he is getting much better at pressing the keys down all on his own (this is an old piano and the keys are a little heavier).

He also loves it when my husband plays the guitar. I was holding him today while Matt was playing and he was tapping his hand on his leg to the beat. Not kidding! And when Matt holds him while playing he likes to touch the strings. Maybe to pretend like he is playing, maybe to feel the vibrations.

I think he may be a musician someday. Or at least he will really appreciate music. The talent or lessons will not come from me, but I am OK with him developing his abilities.

No comments: