Thursday, May 7, 2009

When does it end?


Micah pooped yesterday!
YAY!
Are you offended by this?
Actually, he pooped twice! How exciting?!
Once while watching Baby Einstein (of course. it had been a few days and we decided to step in.) and once while playing in a bouncy seat. Do you realize how much messier a diaper can get when it is used to capacity and then bounced in over and over and over again.
Grossed out yet? Not me. This is one of the most exciting parts of my day. Not the actual clean up process. But it is exciting knowing that this has got to be a relief for him.
Isn't it funny how some of the things we get most excited about in the life of a baby are the things that we refuse to talk about as adults! Going to the bathroom pretty much accounts for 1/3 of a baby's life, and yet, we refuse "bathroom talk" with our peers. When does it move from exciting to extinct? From something to share to something to hide?
And what about burping and farting? Baby's are gassy, but to me it is a thrill to know he is getting this gas out! Maybe not a thrill to smell it, as he does take after his dad in this area, but a thrill nonetheless.
As I sit in the "nursing mother's" room on Sundays at church we congratulate other babies when they have a good belch after a meal. "Good job" can been heard from most every other mother in that room. Until when? When does this stop. When do we start to train our kids that holding in the gas and getting a stomach ache from it is the appropriate thing to do. When am I supposed to stop getting a cheap thrill over his ridding of gas and fluids? It's the rhythm of life, right? Eat, sleep, poop, eat some more...
I can tell my baby is much more pleasant after he's had a good burp from his meal, and especially after he's had a good poo...would we be more pleasant if we were more willing to let it out when we needed to? I'm not saying I want to be smelling everybody's bodily functions everywhere I go. But maybe we need to be ok with allowing ourselves a little room to rid our body of the things that should not be rotting inside. I know a girl who says she NEVER burps or passes gas (that would be her proper way of saying fart)! Really? NEVER? How can that be? I just don't think that is healthy! I think she'd be much happier if she would let it all loose:)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

lance is 3 and we still get a good laugh out of his farts and burps, we aren't polite over here.m

Angela said...

glad we're not the only ones:)

Stephanie said...

you know I had a friend who said they never farted in front of their husband? Ridiculous! We let farts and belches fly in our house ALL the time! I think Jeff wishes I could be a little more lady like, but we laugh just the same no matter who it is :)

Angela said...

I can NOT imagine holding it in! why be uncomfortable, it's natural, right? haha